This recipe for Cream Cheese Spaghetti Bake is one of my favorite dinners-- it is easy with little-to-no preparation, inexpensive, delicious, and not too unhealthy (depending on the choices of ingredients that you use)
8 ounces of uncooked spaghetti
1 pound of ground beef
1 large can of spaghetti sauce (26.5 ounces)
1 tablespoon of butter
1/3 cup of chopped onions
8 ounces of cream cheese, softened
2 tablespoons of milk
Parmesan or Mozzarella cheese to taste
French fried onions to taste
1) Cook spaghetti according to the directions on the package. Drain and set aside once cooked al dente.
2) Brown the ground beef and drain any excess grease.
3) Add the spaghetti sauce to the pot.
4) Combine the hamburger and spaghetti sauce.
5) Dice up the onion.
6) Place the 1/3 cup of chopped onion into a microwavable safe bowl.
7) Add the 1 tablespoon of butter into the dish with the onions. Microwave the onions and butter for 4 minutes-- this is a quick and easy way to get them cooked!
8) In another bowl, add the cream cheese. If it is not softened, you can microwave it for 20-30 seconds)
9) Add the 2 tablespoons of milk into the bowl with the cream cheese.
10) Once the onions and butter are done cooking in the microwave, add them to the cream cheese mixture.
11) Sometimes this takes some coaxing, but mix up all of the cream cheese and onion mixture.
12) In a 9x11 dish, spread a thin layer of the spaghetti sauce on the bottom of the dish.
13) Next, layer all of the spaghetti in the dish.
14) Take the cream cheese mixture and spread on top of the spaghetti. It is easy to evenly spread the cream cheese mixture if you place dollops on top of the spaghetti first...
15) Next, take all of the spaghetti sauce and spread it on top of the cream cheese mixture.
16) Top the dish with some Parmesan or mozzarella cheese to taste. Bake at 350* uncovered for 25 minutes.
17) Top the dish with a bit of french fried onions to give it a bit of a crunch kick. You can add as much or as little as you'd like.
18) Place the dish back in the oven for 5 more minutes to bake the fried onions.
19) Grab a fork and DIG IN! But don't say that I didn't warn you; this dish is definitely one of those where you want second and third and fourth helpings ;-)
I just LOVE this dinner. Like I said, it is SUPER easy and SO tasty. Leftovers are even delicious. Greg likes this recipe as well. Spaghetti is one of his all time favorite dinners, so we like making this baked dish. With the cream cheese and french fried onion additions, it gives us a bit of a twist on the traditional spaghetti dish. YUM!